National Defense Academy and Naval Academy
NDA and NA: Terms and Conditions
Before joining the Academy, a candidate has to agree in writing that:
- The candidate is not entitled to any compensation for injuries suffered in the training process or for any complications (such as deformity) or even death caused during the treatment for any injuries.
- If the candidate is dismissed, discharged or withdrawn from the commission because of his actions he will be liable to refund the whole or such portion of the cost of tuition, food, clothing and pay & allowances, received.
Cost of Training
- cost of training including accommodation, books, uniforms, boarding and medical treatment is borne by the Government.
- Parents or guardians of cadets be required to meet their pocket and other private expenses.
- If in any case a cadet’s parents or guardian is unable to meet wholly or partly even this expenditure, financial assistance upto Rs. 175.00 p.m. may be granted by the Government.
- Eligibility for the grant depends upon the parent's or guardian’s income. The income should not exceed Rs. 1500/- per month (Rs. 2000/- per month if more than one son/ward simultaneously undergoing training at NDA, IMA, OTA and corresponding training establishment in the Navy and Air Force)
- Application for financial assistance should be submitted (after the final selection) through the District Magistrate of his District who will forward the application with his recommendation to the Commandant, National Defence Academy, Pune.
- Monetary Deposit: Candidates finally selected for training at the Academy are required to deposit the following amount on arrival:
Pocket allowance for five months at Rs. 400.00 p.m
For items of clothing and equipment
Incidental Expenditure during 1st Semester
- Refundable Amount: Out of the amount mentioned above the following amount is refundable to the candidate if financial aid is being sanctioned
Pocket allowance for five months at Rs.400.00 p.m.
For items of clothing and equipment approximately
For more details on Financial Assistance and Scholarship check the NDA Scholarships.
- Immediately after the selected candidates join the Academy, a preliminary examination will be held in the following subjects:
- English, Mathematics, Science, Hindi.
- The standard of the examination in the subjects (English, Science and Maths) will not be higher than that of the Higher Secondary Examination of an Indian University or Board of Higher Secondary Education.
- Hindi Paper examination is intended to test the standard of the candidate at the time of joining the Academy.
- Preliminary Training for both academic and physical for a period of three years.
- Training for the first 2.5 years is common to the three wings.
- At the end of the three years the cadets (on passing the requirements) will be awarded B.Sc./B.Sc(Computer)/B.A. degree from Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi.
- In the final year the cadets have specialized trainings:
- Army Cadets go to the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehra Dun,
- Naval Cadets to the Cadets Training ship
- Air Force cadets to AFA, Hyderabad
- At the I.M.A. Army Cadets are known as Gentlemen Cadets. On successful completion of training (1 year) Gentlemen Cadets are granted Permanent Commission in the rank of Lt. subject to being medically fit in “SHAPE” one.
- The Naval cadets are selected for the Executive, Engineering and Electrical Branches of the Navy.
- For the first six months cadets are given sea training on the Cadet Training ship. On successful completion of which they are promoted to the rank of Midshipmen.
- For the next six months the cadets are trained in respective branches to which they are allocated and are then promoted to the rank of acting Lieutenants.
- Air Force Cadets receive flying training for a period of 1½ years
- At the end of 1st year of training, they are given provisional commission in the rank of Flying Officer.
- After successful completion of further training of six months they are absorbed as permanent commissioned officers on probation for a period of one year.
Mission UPSC 2014
Study Online !
Plan of Examination
Bank Exam Guide
Looking for a
job in a Bank